Take 5 breathing technique
They say that your breath is your brain's remote control and I couldn't agree more. Almost every day, I find myself telling at least one of my children to remember that "your breath is your medicine" and that by focusing on their breath when they are feeling anxious or sad - they are able to calm their mind and control their feeling a little bit better.
Learning how to consciously breathe is the most useful tool we have as humans: our breath is always right there at our disposal, we can regulate it as needed and it always, always helps us to improve the wellbeing of our body, mind, and spirit.
So the sooner our kiddos know how to use their breath, the better!
So last week, one of our wonderful teachers shared the Take 5 breathing technique with us which combines a bit of Arts & Crafts fun with a very easy breathing technique for kids - one that our little ones are able to do instantly, whenever they feel like it.
This is how the Take 5 breathing technique works (we created some fun fingerpaintings with directions beforehand to help the kids better visualize what they are about to practice):
1. Stretch your hand out like a star.
2. Get your pointer finger ready to trace your fingers up and down.
3. Slide up each finger slowly - slide down the other side
4. Breathe in through your nose - out through your mouth
5. Put it together and breathe in as you slide up and breathe out as you slide down. Keep going until you have finished tracing your hand.
6. Repeat as many times as needed.
Watch Fini practice her Take 5 breathing technique below: