Take 5 - the easiest breathing technique for kids
by Chantal Bufe
They say that your breath is your brain's remote control, and I couldn't agree more. Almost every day, I find myself telling at least one of my children to remember that "your breath is your medicine" and that by focusing on their breath when they are feeling anxious or sad, they can calm their mind and control their feeling a little bit better.
Learning how to breathe consciously is the most valuable tool we have as humans: our breath is always right there at our disposal, we can regulate it as needed, and it always, always helps us improve the wellbeing of our body, mind, and spirit.
So the sooner our kiddos know how to use their breath, the better!
The Take 5 breathing technique combines a bit of Arts & Crafts fun with an effortless breathing technique for kids - one that our little ones can do instantly, whenever they feel like it:
1. Stretch your hand out like a star.
2. Get your pointer finger ready to trace your fingers up and down.
3. Slide up each finger slowly - slide down the other side
4. Breathe in through your nose - out through your mouth
5. Put it together and breathe in as you slide up and breathe out as you slide down. Keep going until you have finished tracing your hand.
6. Repeat as many times as needed.
(Photo by Charlein Gracia/ Unsplash)